Friday, July 16, 2010

Wiping Up After Jesus

Don't Cry Over Spilt Milk.Image by radarxlove via Flickr
"Mommy, wadter. Wadter, Mommy."
"Mommy, poo, poo. Toilet."
"Mommy, I'm hungry."
"I don't have any pants, Mommy. I need you to find me some pants."

All day at my house I am fielding demands for my attention. Trying to anticipate needs ahead of time, and being covered with still more.

And then there are all those accidents. Spilled milk, food dropped at meal time, potty accidents, water on the counter after washing hands, sticky messes, etc.

I don't have time for it. I have things I am doing, esp right now. It is peach season at my house. This is the time of year that I am meeting myself coming, always waaaay more to do than I can do and people demanding my attention constantly. Uh, you need water. Okay, hold on, I'll get it.

It can be easy to get snappy and short with so many demands on my time. But I was pondering this early this morning. Why do these things seem like such a bother? Would it seem like such an imposition is someone important was here and they were the ones needing something? What if they spilled their milk? Would I huff about it? If they needed laundry done so they would have clothes to wear, would I see it as a bother, or an honor?

Jesus said that if you have done it unto the least of these, you have done it to Him. I have some of the "least of these" walking around in my house everyday. Some of them are not even 3ft tall yet. Some can't talk well. Yet, through them, Jesus is walking around in my house everyday. The question is, do I see Him? Or do I just see another bottom that needs wiped, a mess that needs cleaned up and laundry that needs washed?

I am praying that today I will see Jesus around me. In the little mess-makers running all over my house. That I will see beyond the messes and needs, the demands on my time. I want to joyfully serve my family, seeing their needs and meeting them, just as if I was serving my Jesus.

31 “When the Son of Man comes in His glory, and all the holy[c] angels with Him, then He will sit on the throne of His glory. 32 All the nations will be gathered before Him, and He will separate them one from another, as a shepherd divides his sheep from the goats. 33 And He will set the sheep on His right hand, but the goats on the left. 34 Then the King will say to those on His right hand, ‘Come, you blessed of My Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world: 35 for I was hungry and you gave Me food; I was thirsty and you gave Me drink; I was a stranger and you took Me in; 36 I was naked and you clothed Me; I was sick and you visited Me; I was in prison and you came to Me.’
37 “Then the righteous will answer Him, saying, ‘Lord, when did we see You hungry and feed You, or thirsty and give You drink? 38 When did we see You a stranger and take You in, or naked and clothe You? 39 Or when did we see You sick, or in prison, and come to You?’ 40
And the King will answer and say to them, ‘Assuredly, I say to you, inasmuch as you did it to one of the least of these My brethren, you did it to Me.’
41 “Then He will also say to those on the left hand, ‘Depart from Me, you cursed, into the everlasting fire prepared for the devil and his angels: 42 for I was hungry and you gave Me no food; I was thirsty and you gave Me no drink; 43 I was a stranger and you did not take Me in, naked and you did not clothe Me, sick and in prison and you did not visit Me.’
44 “Then they also will answer Him,[d] saying, ‘Lord, when did we see You hungry or thirsty or a stranger or naked or sick or in prison, and did not minister to You?’ 45 Then He will answer them, saying, ‘Assuredly, I say to you, inasmuch as you did not do
it to one of the least of these, you did not do it to Me.’ 46 And these will go away into everlasting punishment, but the righteous into eternal life.” Matt 25:31-46











Enhanced by Zemanta

1 comment:

Unknown said...

There is greatness in the little things.