Thursday, September 01, 2011

Help With Homemade Products

A friend asked me to share some of what I use instead of buying expensive cleaning products/personal care products. I am still learning in this area, but here are a few things I do to save money. This is actually a quote from an email to another friend asking for help...

Here is the laundry soap I am currently using. It is working well.
http://www.duggarfamily.com/content/duggar_recipes/30455/Homemade%20Liquid%20Laundry%20Soap-%20Front%20or%20top%20load%20machine-%20best%20value

"Organic Body Care" is a good book I would recommend for recipes for personal body care recipes. It is a great resource. I use her recipe for herbal shampoo. This can also be used as a face wash for oily/combination skin/body wash.
Here is the basic version I use:

 Bring to boil:
2 C. water
Add to boiling water, remove from heat, cover and steep 30 min:
1 T. each of dried herb: Yarrow, Lemongrass, Lemon Balm, Peppermint (I get these from Mountain Rose Herbs and the Bulk Herb Store.)
Strain herb mixture, add:
1/2  C. shampoo base or all natural shampoo. (A natural baby shampoo will work as well. I use this one. http://www.vitacost.com/Jason-Daily-Shampoo-Fragrance-Free)
Add essential oils to empty shampoo bottle:
5 drops lemon essential oil
10 drops basil essential oil (Unless user is pregnant.)
10 Rosemary essential oil (unless user is pregnant. Rosemary is not to be used by pregnant women!)
5 Lavender essential oil

Add shampoo mix to shampoo bottle and gently mix. Let sit for 24 hrs to fully blend, but I have used it right away many times. =) The book suggests storing it in the fridge or only having a small bottle in the shower and the rest in the fridge...

Toothpaste:
Yes, it works and we really like this. David asks for it if I run out. We like cinnamon oil in it. Oh, I use the baby toothpaste recipe. This is very easy.  Note: Don't use a metal spoon or container for the clay. I use a plastic measuring spoon to measure the clay and to stir the mixture and I use a small canning jar for the finished product.
http://www.aboutclay.com/info/Uses/toothpaste.htm

A friend and I are about to experiment with soapnuts for handsoap etc. I will let you know how that goes. =)

 Hope this helps!

What are some of your favorite homemade products that work?
Nichola
http//:peachfarmerswife.blogspot.com

No comments: