Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Hurrah For Gardening!

My flower bed

Haven't made an appearance in the blog world for a little while.  Not that I hadn't wanted to write, just been busy with life things and pounding out blog posts just doesn't fit in very well...

This spring has been perfect for gardening and so that is where I have invested a lot of my time the last few months. It has been a lot of fun, as well as aggravating at times, like when the goats got in and ate my English peas, cabbage, peppers, etc, or like when the caterpillars came out in full force and left my hard work decimated. But despite those set backs, my gardens have been a lot of fun and have yielded some food for my table. I am looking forward to more produce in the months ahead.

I let myself do something I haven't let myself do for 6 years, and I dug up a flower/herb bed. I have a menagerie of herbs and flowers and the kids even planted a banana tree in it. I also planted some roses in the back yard. Everyday there is something new to look at and enjoy.

After last year's drought and heat wave, it has been like therapy being able to be out in the gardens watching everything grow. Everything is so green and while we have had some warm days, we have mostly had warm, mild spring weather. It has been very pleasant.


What are you doing outside? Are you growing anything or just enjoying the outdoors? Leave me a comment and tell me about what you are doing!

Nichola
 http//:peachfarmerswife.blogspot.com

2 comments:

Nola said...

Like you I have enjoyed this spring so much. As someone said they have a new appreciation of mosquito's since we had none last summer because of having no standing water anywhere.

My garden has done well. We have been blessed with lots of onions and one gathering of peppers. Tomatoes are coming, just not as fast as I would like.

I have several flower beds this year, with flowers not weeds! I am using drip irrigation to water them to conserve what water we are blessed with.

Adriane said...

Hi! I was visiting from my blog and wanted to thank you for becoming a follower of it. I too understand not having as much time to blog when busy with life. :) We had a drought last year too that was really bad. We lost most of our grass and our garden just quit producing. This year has been much better for us and much greener too! We had a good garden output earlier in the season but not much going on right now. :)

Thanks for visiting my blog. Blessings to you and your family. :)