Friday, May 10, 2013

Mind Mapping

EROP Mind Map

I am sure much of the world  already knows about the wonders of mind mapping.

I didn't.

I can't tell you how excited I am to learn about this amazing tool.

Did I mention I was excited?

If you are unfamiliar with mind mapping, like I was, it is, in a nutshell, a method of laying out data in a non-linear way so you can see large amounts of data at a glance. It is essentially a picture of data organized much like your brain organizes it, through connections.

Mind mapping can be used in many ways to help you mange data.

You can use it to take notes, organize a project, communicate a plan, organize a  brainstorming session, organize a presentation or speech, memorize information, etc, etc.

As Tony Buzan, who is responsible for popularizing the term, 'mind mapping', said, it is a "tool of geniuses." It is a method that has shown up in the journals and work of great minds of the past such as Leonardo DaVinci and others. A mind map is a way to put things down on paper in a way that is much closer to how your brain actually thinks, with makes it easier to get it down as well as easier to sort through the data. It is esp great for visual learners, although I think it can work very well for the other learning styles as well.

You can use a pen and paper, a white board, or software designed for the purpose. They can be elaborate or simple.

Since stumbling onto the concept of mind maps and learning a bit on how to use them last week, it has been amazing how this simple tool has impacted my life.

So far, I have used mind maps to:
Create accurate pictures of the long range and short range to-do lists that float around in my head. The stuff that would normally require flipping here and there in my planner to write down, is all on one page in my notebook. I can easily add to it at any moment. I look at and think, "Wow. THAT'S why I have felt like I had a lot to do and it was so complicated...." Now I can see it, and am hopeful to actually make progress, because I can a plan, not just a list.

Create and then communicate plans of action on how life needs to happen and function in a season that is frankly, hard to function in right now. I may be the only mom who has this issue, but I very often find myself feeling like I am the only one that sees the plan. In many ways, I am. I have said many times, "I wish I could show them the picture in my head so they could understand!"  I have tried to follow the great advice of other moms and get the info out where they can see it in form of charts, schedules, etc. This had had some measure of success, but has been a bit of a struggle to get people excited about. And it never really communicated the real picture in my head. This past week, I did it. I drew a picture of how things need to happen right now in our home and why. They got it. It was great for all of us. (The picture at the top of this post is from our first home managing mind map.)

Take notes on short research projects and webinars.Haven't used the mapping for this a whole lot yet, but am excited about the potential I see for it. I have always been a terrible note taker. I predict mind mapping will be a simple and yet massive tool to help me take better notes in any setting and hopefully retain the info better.

Map a passage of Scripture. This was fun, and really made me think through the passage. When you are reading and mapping the connections that are laid out in the text, there is a richness that emerges. I am looking forward to learning more about using mind maps for Bible study.

Here are a few things I found to be helpful in learning about mind maps.

Google- Google "mind maps" "mind mapping" "how to mind map" "mind mapping uses" Blogs, websites and videos galore will pop up.
YouTube- YouTube was a great resource for me in learning about this. Esp as a visual learner, seeing it done was, well, worth a thousand words. Put the same searches into a YouTube search box. The results that mention Tony Buzan are esp helpful.
Mindmapart.com- This site has a gallery of mind maps that show some of the more elaborate  types of mind maps you can create.

Do you mind map? I would love to hear how you use mind mapping or other visual aids to help you organize your brain! Leave me a comment!


Nichola
http//:peachfarmerswife.blogspot.com

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Okay, so, when I first glanced at the picture, I thought, "Hey, this must be some kind of a homeschool geography poster project--kids forgot the 'u' and the other 'e' though." Haha.

(Surely you remember seeing my pages of "mapped" thought projects back in the 80s and maybe early 90s. I got it from a book at the St. Johns Library.)

Anonymous said...

But upon reflection, I find your Mindmap to be nevertheless, inspiring. It seems that your "mind" shows to be more colorful than mine did back then.

Unknown said...

@Anonymous- Thanks for your comment!

I don't remember your mapping, but maybe something in there does. =)

Buzan encourages the use of color in mind mapping. He says it excites the brain, as do curves. I used dry erase crayons.

Anonymous said...

Yeah. Mine just stemmed out from a rather boring circle. Yours is more like an undiscovered tropical island somewhere off the coast of the Iberian Peninsula.

I also like the application to Bible study. I've done something like this on my own before. This kind of thing really helps comprehension.