Tuesday, January 19, 2010

DIY Toothpaste?

Toothpaste and toothbrushImage via Wikipedia


Ever wonder if there are better ways to brush your teeth? Or something cheaper, simpler to put on the brush?

Okay, maybe most people don't think about such boring things, but I have wondered about it. I mean, what it in toothpaste, anyway? And is the only option for DIY toothpaste to stick nasty baking soda on your brush and pucker while you brush?

So, last night, I tried it. I looked up some recipes online and then charged off to mix a batch for the nightly ritual. I was surprised at how easy it was, how much it made and the effectiveness of the end result.

If you are interested, here is the recipe I tried.

Even my kids liked it. I used some peppermint extract, about half as much as called for in the recipe. My kids don't really like "hot" toothpaste.... =) I personally would like a bit more "mint" to my paste, so I may make another batch for David and I.

Mixing your own toothpaste may not be something you think about as you move the brush back and forth in your mouth. Then again, maybe now you will be thinking about how you could change up the stuff in your tube.......
Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

2 comments:

Sarah said...

This is great, thanks for finding the recipe, I make my own laundry detergent, and soon I'll use my own dishwashing detergent, so this will be definately put on the list!

Unknown said...

Glad that something I am doing is helpful for you, too! We are still liking our toothpaste, and when I ran out the other day, in less than 3 min I had another batch whipped up. =)