Monday, October 03, 2005

Are Mormon's Christians?

I had an interesting discussion with my sister last night. She had some questions about Mormonism or rather, LDS Mormonism, which she had been told was different that other radical Mormonism. I decided to write a post on this.

LDS stands for Latter Day Saints. As far as I can tell, there is nothing different about regular Mormons and LDS Mormons.

I did a bit of research and found the following website. http://www.contenderministries.org/mormonism.php
This seemed to be a very good resouce in understanding Mormonism. The writer on this site is very clear and easy to understand, but does not have a nasty attitude about Mormons.

So, what do they believe? If you talk to a lot of them, they really don't know. Not because they haven't studied enough but because they have not been told yet. Here is a good page to read about what they believe that is different from Christianity. This shows plainly why there is nothing in Mormonism that is really even close to being the same as what Christians believe. http://www.contenderministries.org/mormonism/missionaries.php

But, as my sister asked, don't they believe in the same God as us? They talk about God and Jesus and even Jesus being their salvation. Talking with her last night I couldn't remember everything that I had learned before about this. Here is some very plain information as to why they are not talking about the same Jesus and God and why they are not Christians.

"In short, Mormons worship a Jesus who they claim was a polygamist and the spirit-brother of Satan. They believe in a Jesus who was not always god and whose blood does not cover all sins. The Jesus of the Mormon Church is not the Jesus of the Bible."
Follow this link to see more info on this.
http://www.contenderministries.org/mormonism/godchrist.php

1 comment:

Erin said...

How are you doing, Nichola? I hope that God is continuing to give you peace. Your attitude through everything is just an amazing testimony.

About your post...no I would definitely agree that Mormons do not worship the same Jesus we believe in! I visited the Mormon temple in Houston before it was "sanctified" (that is, they perform some sort of cleansing ritual and stop letting any non-members of the LDS in). I saw the pool where Mormons go to be baptized for their dead relatives. If I remember right, they believe that the more they are baptized for the dead, the higher level of Heaven the dead are able to reach. It was kind-of creepy, and gave me a bad feeling.

The sad thing is, Mormons are usually the nicest people you'll ever meet. They are very generous and spend so much time and so many resources trying to earn their way to Heaven. If only they could understand and receive grace.