Monday, September 20, 2010

Mixes

flour (wheat + white), baking soda, baking pow...Image by alifayre via Flickr
I am finally having a little room to breathe in the kitchen project. Up to this point, so much of my input/research etc. has been needed, almost constantly. But the past week or so, I have not had to be "on site" quite as much. This has allowed me the luxury of giving our meals more attention.
So, I gave them some attention. It has been slim pickin's at times around here with mom busy with other stuff.

Several years ago, I borrowed a book from a friend titled, "Make-A-Mix Cookery" by Karine Eliason, Nevada Harward and Madeline Westover I now own my own copy and have wanted to get to a place that I could really start using it. I found that place last week.



I made the Quick Mix, Roll Mix and Muffin Mix listed in the book. In no time flat, I had cranked out biscuits, rolls, muffins, cookies, and even a cake from these 3 mixes. (Although, not all at the same time.) I love the ability to make things fast for my family without any additives, preservatives, etc.



Here is the recipe for the Quick Mix:

8 1/2 C. flour (I used white whole wheat flour)
1 T. baking powder
1T. salt
2t cream of tartar
1 t. baking soda
1 1/2 non-fat dry milk

2 1/4 shortening (I used Palm Shortening)



Mix all the dry ingredients, then cut in the shortening until it resembles cornmeal in texture.

Here is one recipe to use the quick mix for:




Never-Fail Rolled Biscuts

3 C. Quick Mix
2/3 milk or water


Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Combine ingredients and let sit for 5 min. Knead about 15 times and roll out on floured board to 1/2" thickness. Cut with biscuit cutter. Bake 10 to 12 min until golden brown. Makes 12 large biscuits.



These were very good and fast to do. I doubled the recipe for Quick Mix to give me more time between having to mix up the mix. My whole family has been enjoying these mixes, or at least they are enjoying the products made from them. =) Maybe your family will enjoy them as well.

 If you have a favorite mix/recipe to share, leave me a comment or leave a link to your blogpost with the recipe!

Enhanced by Zemanta

1 comment:

Andrea said...

Thanks for sharing this, Nichola! It looks like a must-have in the kitchen.