Thursday, July 28, 2005

Kick It!

I am dancing a jig today! I have a new stove!!! For those who do not know, I have been using a stove that was, well, I thought it was possessed. It didn’t work well at all. The oven was either way too hot or way too cold. Just when I thought that I had it figured out it would pull a stunt and burn the food or cook it way too slow. I did ok with it though. I made bread, etc in it anyway. And I never once let myself kick it. It wouldn’t have helped so I held my temper and prayed for patience. But it was a trial. I learned a lot about controlling my temper. And not collapsing over stuff going wrong.

Well, yesterday my husband’s parents were going to town and saw a stove for sale at someone’s house. They stopped and bought it for $75. Then later my husband saw it and stopped to buy it and the man told him it was sold. When he told him who had bought it David realized that he was going to get it anyway!

When I got home, (I had been selling peaches), there was my old stove just outside the back door. I walked over to it, remembering all the meals and the headache that it had been. “Well,” I said, “You did you job. And I am thankful that I had you. But now you’re done. I never kicked you but,” and I gave it a good hard kick. And I kicked it again. David grinned and offered to get the shotgun for me. :-)

But you know, that was as far as I could go. Even though that thing had been nothing but trouble, it had been my stove. And suddenly I couldn’t be mad at it. I had fixed meals on it for several years for my family and others. I had learned to make delicious bread in it, in spite of it's fits. I had made cobblers, pies, casseroles, etc. How could I totally despise what suddenly looked like my old friend that had done it’s best? To my surprise I started looking at that cantankerous old thing with a bit of fondness.

I am very happy with my new stove. Though I haven’t been able to try it out yet, I know I am going to like it. (It is a gas stove and we need a longer connector pipe thingy.) I am not sorry to have a new one. But I am not going to be mad at my old one anymore.

Other happenings….

I didn’t get to make fried pies yesterday like I thought I was. I ended up having to go my in-laws and watch the peach selling operation while they went to town.

I did get an antibiotic yesterday. I started taking it last night. I don’t like taking medicine but I need to get this infection cleaned out.

Well, I will post this and get on with some other stuff. That won’t be much since I don’t feel well, but….

No comments: