Friday, July 29, 2005

This is something I posted on my livejournal a while back, almost a year ago. I was going back through some of my entries and found this and thought I would post it here. It is something that I am going to be looking at again that is for sure.

This is an exerpt from the book, "Mrs. Dunwoody's Instructions for Excellent Homekeeping."

Mrs. Dunwoody’s Notes for Planning a Superior Day

1.Make a plan for your day. Otherwise you'll find yourself making the fatal mistake of dealing primarily with problems rather than opportunities.

2. Concentrate. I have observed that concentration is a key aspect of effective use of time. The amount of time spent on a chore seems not to matter as much as the amount of uninterrupted time. Few problems can resist an all-out attack. If you dedicate fifteen solid, uninterrupted minutes to an immense task, it will not seem so overwhelming the next time you return to it.

3. Learn to rest and catch your breath. To work for long periods of time without taking a break is not the most effective use of your time.

4. Don't procrastinate. It is the thief of time. Start off your day by doing the most unpleasant chore first. You will get such a feeling of exhilaration knowing that although the day is only half an hour along, you have already conquered the most troublesome task of the day.

5. Sift and sort. Don't assume the most important matters will "float to the top." You must sort through the clutter of the day and categorize. Ask yourself, "What needs immediate action, and what can I tend to by the fire's light this evening in my favorite chair?"

6. Strive for excellence, not perfection. Perfection does not existthere is a great difference in striving for excellence and striving for perfection. The first is attainable, gratifying, and healthy. The second is impossible, frustrating, and neurotic (not to mention obnoxious). It is also a terrible waste of time.

7. Never lose sight of the “big picture.” Some things need only five minutes or so, tending to a day, while others may need five hours. But if you can try to maintain a perspective, and remember that people (especially children) are always more important than things, you will do well in life.

"Guard well your spare moments. They are like uncut diamonds. Discard them and their value will never be known. Improve them and they will become the brightest gems in a useful life."-Emerson

Simple things really but very helpful I think!

2 comments:

Erin said...

Hi Nichola!

I have enjoyed reading through your blog. So you and your husband have a peach farm? That sounds wonderful...though I'm sure is a lot of work too! I didn't realize we grew many peaches here in Texas. There is an orchard near where I live that we love to go to and pick our own strawberries every spring. I would love to get peaches as well...you don't happen to live near Houston, do you?:o)

I saw that you linked to my site...thank you! I am really excited whenever I get comments or know that anyone reads what I write...this blog thing is all new to me:o) I will be back to yours in the future as well.

Have a wonderful weekend!

Unknown said...

Hi!

Thanks for the encouragement. I am new to this blog thing too! I have enjoyed reading your blog too and I have been keeping up with what you write.

There are actually quite a few peaches grown here. We have had people from Houston stop in but usually they were already in the area and heard about our orchard. We are about an hour east of Abilene. A bit far to drive but if you were already coming this way... :-)