Tuesday, August 02, 2005

Oh Boy!

I finished a book yesterday that I have been reading, "Created to be His Help Meet," by Debi Pearl. I really enjoyed, even though I was challenged to a higher plane than I had been on in some areas. I might try and do a review here later. For now I will just say that it is not a book the modern feminist would enjoy unless she is so frustrated with her lifestyle that brings her no joy and is grasping for hope.

My plug for the book is, if you have ever wished you could sit down and talk to an aged woman that had a succesful marriage and perhaps invite her to come sit and talk to you in your kitchen so you could ask her all sorts of simple and tough questions, read this book. If you long for godly advise from someone that has been there and walked in tough places and is not going to tell you just what you want to hear, read this book. If you grew up with a mother that was dissatisfied with your dad and everyone knew it, you must read this book. If you are married now and you find yourself being irritated about things your husband does, even if they are little, this book is for you! Debi Pearl wrote this book from depths of her heart, her experiences as a wife and mother, and her experiences as a woman that many women have turned to for counsel in their marriages.

Fair warning: she does teach that wives are to submit to their husbands. (gasp!) But by the time I got done with the book I did not pity the women who submit to their husbands, I pitied the women who will not. They are the ones that are truly weak and losing out on who they are and can be as women.

Also be warned: this book is roll on the floor funny sometimes. Debi writes in such a sweet way, though very direct and sometimes blunt. If she is wanting to write something funny, look out. She had me in stitches a few times!

I think every bride should read this book and am so glad I ordered it. You can order it from Crystal or right from the Pearl's.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks for your comment!

I actually have read those reviews, spunky's more thoughly than the other one. I read the reviews and then read the book, with a bit of a bias against it. To my surprise, Debi Pearl said none of what they said she did. I had to wonder if they had even read the whole book! I don't think they did or they surely would have seen that the Pearl's do not leave major questions about spousal abuse, insist that it is woman's fault if she loses her husband, etc. Even the doctrinal issues were taken way out of context. I do not want to slam spunky but she did what many people do with the Bible. She pulled a sentence or two out of the book and said that Debi was saying...(fill in the blank)

I know that there are women that are concerned. I am too. I am concerned that women that need this teaching will not even look at it because of the word of some women that misrepresented it.

razorbackmama said...

"Even the doctrinal issues were taken way out of context. I do not want to slam spunky but she did what many people do with the Bible. She pulled a sentence or two out of the book and said that Debi was saying...(fill in the blank)"

I'm curious to hear examples of how Spunky did this. How has Spunky misrepresented it?

(If you get a chance to read the reviews on my site, I'd like to hear how I've misrepresented it too.)